Saturday, January 26, 2013

Distracted by shiny things

I'm writing the first sequel to Whisper Falls.  Its working title is A Whisper in Time, which I think the publisher will keep but you never know.

Contractually, I was given about nine months to write the first sequel.  That sounded moderately terrifying although, of course, I did agree to the terms.

I am now a few short weeks away from the due date for the first draft. I had my writing schedule perfectly poised to meet that date, with two weeks allotted for a well-deserved break while my freelancer reviewed my new masterpiece. [This is a warning about the fragility of my ego, Miss Free Lancer.]

'The best-laid plans of mice and men...'

Last Saturday night, just about bedtime, I smiled with satisfaction as I saved off my manuscript. It was on track. I was happy.  All was right with the world.  I would check my email one more time before sleeping.

Kitten in mailbox


There was a brand new email in my inbox: Edits for Whisper Falls.

My husband saw the message and said, "Somebody is not going to sleep now."

He was so right.  I was up until the wee hours of the morning reading through those edits.  A week later, I'm still making my way through them.  And that beautifully-arranged schedule for Sequel 1—totally mangled.

Here's hoping I catch up this weekend!




1 comment:

  1. Elizabeth, I'm learning this, as well. My writer's heart reaches out to you, even back then.

    Recently, I'd entered my current WIP MS to our Smokey Mountain chapter in their Laurie Contest in Feb. and got it back in early May w/its double critique.

    Could I let it sit...oh no, I could do nothing but review it.

    One judge was only a trained judge...got the worst critique from her. The other was a publ. author, though not a trained judge. I could sense the kindness in how she delivered her verdict, in her giving me 3's and some firm but gentle recommendations. 3 being Promising and to continue...did much for not tearing at my spirit.

    I'll be reading more current news on your edits soon, though in daylight.

    Blessings to you, always.

    Sincerely, and Creatively Speaking,

    Diane D. Martinez, Author/Journalist
    also writing as DeAnne Marie DuMaine /
    D.D. Martin

    The Ink Pen - Le Plume'
    "Me - Splashing Colorful Delights Upon Pages of Our One Imagination." by DeAnne Marie DuMaine

    www.facebook.com/theinkpenleplume

    ReplyDelete