Monday, December 9, 2013

Best gift ever for your favorite author

My author's wish list has two simple items on it:
  • read my book
  • if you like it, tell someone else

Both gifts make me really happy.



Read my book. I'd love for you to buy the book, of course. Writing is my job; I can't afford to create books if I'm not getting paid for it. But if you're not able to buy it, libraries can buy my book too.  You can check it out from your local library.

Tell someone else. Word-of-mouth is the number one way that readers discover new authors. So there you are--an inexpensive way to give back to an author.  Just say "I loved this book."

Whether it's my book or another author's, here are a few ways you can spread the word about a book you love
  1. Mention to your friends.
  2. Give a book that you love as a gift.
  3. Recommend it to your book club.
  4. Give a nice review on Goodreads, Amazon, B&N, or any of the other forums for talking about books.
  5. Nominate it to book bloggers or the numerous "Best of 2013" lists. 
  6. Request the book at your local library, especially if they don't have it in their catalog.
  7. If you're a teen, tell your English teacher or school librarian.
  8. Look for it at your local bookstore. If it's not on the shelves, ask! The bookstore won't know to order/stock the book unless they recognize that there is interest.
  9. Tweet the book or blog about it.

And let me know too. If you leave a review, that's one way to let me know you enjoyed my book. But I love it when readers tell me (in person or via social media) that they enjoyed the book.

I just had a colleague (at my day job) stop me in the hall to say that she'd read my book.

Me: Oh, did you enjoy it?
Her: It was wonderful. I couldn't put it down.

Yes! Christmas came early!





No comments:

Post a Comment