Saturday, August 26, 2017

Contest to name the fictional NC town in Fade To Us

I'm having a contest to name the heroine's hometown in my next book, Fade To Us.


The terms:
  • The name must be fictional (so please do a search for the town's name in North Carolina before suggesting.)
  • Suggestions must be submitted by Thursday, 31 Aug 2017, at 11:59 pm EST.
  • A distinguished panel of judges (aka my family) will help me to select the winning town name. Their decision is completely subjective, impervious to outside influence, and utterly final.
  • If more than one entrant suggests the same name, the entrant who suggests first (based on date/timestamp of entry) will be awarded the prize.
  • You may submit your suggested town name via email (julia@juliaDay.com), twitter, or as a comment on this blog.
  • You may enter more than once.

The prize:
  • Only one prize will be awarded.
  • The winning suggestion will be used as the name of the fictional hometown for my heroine, Brooke, in the book Fade To Us.
  • The prize winner will be thanked on the Acknowledgements page of the book.
  • The prize winner will receive the first signed copy of an ARC of Fade To Us (which should be available in October or November.) USA and Canada addresses only.
no mods made; license link is https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.0/legalcode
Raven Rock State Park, photo by Selena NBH

A little more about the setting, to inspire you:
  • This fictional town is located in the middle of the state, also known as The Heart of Carolina. Names with beach or mountain are not likely to be chosen.
  • My heroine's hometown is small and located in a mostly rural area. However, people are beginning to move there from cities like Raleigh and Fayetteville--because the commute is doable.
  • This fictional town is located near a gorgeous state park, Raven Rock State Park (see image to the upper left.) This is a beautiful part of North Carolina!
  • Themes in the book include musical theater, autism/Asperger's, blended families, and baseball.
  • For what it's worth, towns in North Carolina often end with -ville, -ton, or -boro.

I look forward to your ideas, and thank you!

2 comments:

  1. Hello!

    I thought of three so far.

    One is LUNA. It means moon right? And we see the moon in the dark so it reminds me of the phrase "fading light" which has a ring with the book's title.

    Another one is AURORA. Same thing with the light reference. But this time it reminds me of the stage lights. And aurora is kind of like the nothern lights. Which what the book cover's color scheme look like.

    And I thought of CLARIN. No meanings on this or anything. I thought it was a good town name. Since you mentioned that some NC towns end in -ton. I thought CLARINTON has a nice ring to it.

    I hope it was alright to put all my suggestions in one comment. Will definitely suggest more if I think of anything else. And also, just want to say that this is a cool contest!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the suggestions. It was perfect to put your suggestions here--and yes, more is good! I love that you worked in the references to light from the book cover.

    ReplyDelete